Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Prodigal


Prodigal - Exceedingly or recklessly wasteful, extremely generous, lavish, abundantly profuse.

Commonly called Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, it's all here, in this one plant: past, present, future, with all its contradictions and contrasts.

I've been eyeing this plant at the end of my porch now for several days, noting the purples and the oranges: opposites on the artist's color wheel, complimentary colors used near the focal point to grab the viewer's attention. It's as if this one plant insists on hyperbole - a veritable burlesque show.

Yet, we too hold all our yesterdays, our today, and tomorrows, in our flesh; the cells of our bodies remember and know. We too hold the tension of the purple and the orange. 


Am I a flower? 


or a berry?



"I am." That's what this plant speaks to me at this moment. "Don't define me too closely - I am.  That's all. I simply am. I'm all of it in this one space, at this one moment. I am."





No comments: