Monday, November 4, 2013

Rainstick's Bidding

Richard took us to our senses Saturday morning: seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, feeling - the importance of rooting our poetry is the here and now. We were to choose five nouns, close our ears, and listen to the sounds of two different rainsticks being passed around the room. As we listened, I simply jotted down what I heard and what I sensed in the hearing, then rooted those sounds to my five nouns: seed, house, mountain, sky, roots.

Rainstick’s Bidding
by Sheila Conner

In night’s darkness
The seed gestates in silent stillness

Ground ruptures
Shaking house and rattling bones

Teeth chatter

Sky loosens and energy rushes
Opening and closing

Space inside

Deepest valley
Highest mountain

Dry riverbed rushes
With overflow

Roots drive down
Buds erupt

Vibration’s voice animates life

Awake! Pay attention!

Be!





1 comment:

Susan said...

Let it be.

Loved the picture you painted with these words and the emotions I felt!

Susan