Sunday, December 22, 2013

Her "Yes" Becomes Mine


Her “Yes” Becomes Mine
By Sheila Conner



(“We are all meant to be mothers of God.
What good is it to me
if this eternal birth of the divine Son
takes place unceasingly,
but does not take place within myself?
And, what good is it to me if Mary is full of grace
if I am not also full of grace? What…”
~Meister Eckhart)
Bewildered
I am so afraid –

My heart pounds.
I can scarcely breathe.
My palms sweat.

She asks, “Who are you?”

I ask, “Who am I?”

She, “What do you want?”

I, “What do I want?”

Her questions become mine:

“What did I do?”

“What have I NOT done?
Am I in trouble? – again?”

You called me “Blessed”.

I’m what?
You call that Good News?

A child?
New life inside of ME?
You want an answer?
I have to agree?

His light fades.
She’s alone now.
Alone but for the Seed -

The seed she is to carry,
The Seed she has to nurture and grow.
The seed she must deliver.

(Image: The Annunciation, Henry Ossawa Tanner)
(Poetry Retreat, November 2, 2013
Surfside Beach, Richard Osler, Facilitator)

No comments: