Friday, October 3, 2014

Week of Paying Attention, Day 2, October 3


Faithful Place

Again, leftward and out of sight, a chorus of mockingbirds trill their hundredth song while
ahead of me murky waters languish,
dusted with soft yellow Yankee pollen transported on last night’s wild north winds
from as far away as Waco.
Overhead thunders the Great Mosquito Duster, sending Tom skittering toward me from
 across the damp, planked walkway.
A solitary Hungry Hummer chatters, hovers, darts, then dips into liquid bacon and eggs served up
at Red Saucer Diner.

On my lap, Tara French’s Faithful Place holds a day’s worth of suspense, murder and intrigue
 While before and all around me offers up quite another tale -

This is my Faithful Place.


(well, it's more than 7 line, but it's only 5 thoughts).


And I couldn't help it, a second poem (7 lines!) just bubbled up. 


What’s the Story?

Nothing tells the tale
of a wild and stormy night
quite like a soaked kitty
come in from his prowl,
downed and spent palm fronds scattered across the yard,
languishing pollen-laden waters,

and my damp chaise lounge.


No comments: